27thAnnual Loisaida Festival Schedule of Events
Friday, May 23 to Sunday, May 25th
Friday, May 23, 2014
7:30pm-9:30pm/ CityLore, 56 E 1st Street. / Admission free
Performing Loisaida: A Poets’ Jam in the Spirit of the New Rican Village
Some of the guest poet/performers include: Sandra María Esteves, Jesús Papoleto Meléndez, David Henderson, Edwin Torres, LaTasha N. Nevada Diggs, and Urayoán Noel, along with musician Boby Sanabria and one or more special guests. The event will also feature screening of rare footage from the era.
Saturday, May 24, 2014
2:00pm-6:00pm / New Loisaida Center, 710 E 9th Street / Admission free
The Production of Nabe: Loisaida’s land-use and environmental activism, past and present
- Screenings: 3 vintage documentaries about Loisaida’s sweat-equity, community garden and environmental initiatives since the 1970’s.
“The Heart of Loisaida” by Marcie Reaven & Beni Matais
“11th Street Movement” by Stuart Leigh
“Umbrella House” by Catalina Santamaria
- Real-time Oral Histories: Historians interview old-time activists/players from Loisaida’s urban appropriation movement.
- Talk/Presentation: Contemporary land use issues, recent development and its environmental impacts in the LES by GOLES
- Debut of “Memorias de Loisaida”, a theatrical piece by artists in residence Papel Machete.
Sunday May 25, 2014
12:00pm-5:00pm / Ave C btw 6th & 12th Streets/ Loisaida Street Festival
Kick Off Parade: Featuring Felix Milan Little League, the NY Twirling & Marching Band, and contingents of diverse performers/participants from the 2014 Festival’s edition.
Main Stage: Los Pleneros de la 21, Romance de Teatro SEA , Mimi Maura, Flor de Toloache, Flaco Navaja and the Razor Blades and the Loisaida Awards.
Street Level Programming:
Arts, Crafts, Culture: Display of crafts by PRIDA members, other emergent artists, and local cultural organizations will converge on the avenue to showcase their output of ethnic and cultural expressions.
Some of the organization includes:
- El Museo Del Barrio- Art and Craft for kids and families
- Afro-Inspira Bomba Dance workshop- by Yelimara Concepción and Mike Pacheco.
- NY Capoeira Center- Capoeira Dance Demonstration
- Domino Tournament- sponsored by local bodegas/ALBOR
Theater Lab: Anchored at La Plaza Cultural Community Garden, a full program of theater presentations and workshops will offer the audience the possibility to be a part of the creative process of play, partake in a vast range of theater workshops or sit down and enjoy a theater piece as a spectator.
Latin Cuisine: Visitors will enjoy the traditional food vendors along Avenue C offering a wide selection of delicious Puerto Rican and Latino food. This year we have added a food court featuring local Latin restaurants sponsored by Association of Latino Business Owners and Residents (ALBOR)
Healthy Living: The Hispanic Federations returns to the festival with “Be Healthy / Ser Saludable” zone, featuring Zumba class, NFL Play 360 Obstacle Course, Health Screening and Nutritional Counselling. There will be also be an Environmental Literacy effort assembled through a variety of city-based green initiatives and health and human services organizations offering important information and best practices. For the sports lovers we will have the New York Knicks Grove Truck. (poner link a slider 3 Kid Friendly Activities)